With the cold, grey weather outside I’ve been craving a lot of warm and comforting meals and this has been one of my favourites lately. Baked aubergines with a rich tomato sauce and melted feta, so so yummy.
- 2 aubergines
- A can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 large fresh basil sprig
- Olive oil
- 1 table spoon tomato puree
- Balsamic vinegar
- 200g of feta cheese
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- To prepare the aubergine:
- Slice the aubergine lengthways into thin slices and place on an oven tray on some baking paper.
- Brush some olive oil onto the slices and sprinkle with salt.
- Leave them in the oven for about 40 min, checking regularly to prevent thinner slices from burning.
- For the tomato sauce
- Finely dice the garlic and at to some olive oil in a sauce pan on medium heat and cook until brown.
- Add the tomato puree and a generous glug of balsamic vinegar. Then add in the chopped tomatoes, season with salt and black pepper and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add a small amount of boiling water on top and increase the heat to bring the sauce to a boil and let it thicken.
- Once thick, lower the heat and add in the chopped basil and leave it to cook for a fe more minutes.
- Finally take it off the heat to cool.
- Put the feta in a bowl and break it up using a fork.
- Once the aubergine slices have cooked in the oven, the sauce is ready and the feta has been prepared:
- Start by lining the bottom of an oven dish with a layer of aubergine slices, take care to avoid overlapping but try to coat the bottom completely.
- Then pour some of the tomato sauce on top and sprinkle with some of the feta.
- Repeat this two more times ending with a layer of sprinkled feta on top. Try to spread the aubergines, sauce and feta evenly through the three layers.
- Bake for around 30-40 minutes. The feta on top should appear soft and melted.