With Pancake Day approaching I thought I would post up this blueberry pancake recipe. These are American-style pancakes which are extra delicious when eaten with a mixture of blueberry syrup and fresh berries, but can also be topped with anything of your choice. I’ve made the recipe vegan and gluten-free and tried to avoid using any processed ingredients so that a wide variety of people can enjoy them.
Ingredients (these quantities should give you about 7 -8 pancakes):
- For the pancakes:
- 1 cup oats
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 300ml almond milk
- 1 tablespoon flaxseeds
- About 50-70g of blueberries
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- For the Syrup:
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- About 100-150g of blueberries
- For the Pancakes:
- Put all the dry ingredients except for the brown rice flour into a food processor. This includes the oats, flaxseeds, baking powder and pinch of salt. Bend them together until the oats have turned into a flour.
- Add in the wet ingredients: Almond milk, maple syrup and coconut oil to the mixture. Blend everything together.
- Add in the blueberries, turn the food processor on again but only in short bursts, leaving some blueberries whole while reducing others in size.
- Transfer the mixture from the food processor to a mixing bowl and sift in the brown rice flour. Whisk everything together.
- Melt a small amount of coconut oil in a saucepan. Using a ladle take some of the mixture and gently pour into the centre of the saucepan. Leave it to cook on one side until bubbles appear on the surface, then using a spatula flip the pancake to cook on the other side. Do this until you finish all of the mixture, using one ladle of mixture per pancake.
- For the Syrup:
- Over a low heat, heat up a mixture of maple syrup and blueberries until the syrup has taken the colour of berries and the berries have softened.