This is one of my absolute favourite things to eat and make and one that always seems to go down really well when with other people. The original form of this dish is fried, which I have to admit is delicious, but the healthy, baked alternative is also extremely tasty.
- 2 courgettes
- 1 egg
- 100g feta cheese/ Turkish white cheese
- A generous hand full of dill
- A generous hand full of flat-leaf parsley
- 4 spring onions
- Half a cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- Half a cup of olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200°C
- Peel the courgettes and grate them. Make sure to squeeze out any juice as otherwise your mixture will become too watery.
- Finely chop the dill, parsley and spring onions (don’t include the leaves) and add them to the grated courgettes.
- Crumble the feta cheese into the mixture.
- Whisk the egg in a separate bowl and add it in.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients including the oil, baking powder, salt, black pepper and the flour. I recommend adding the flour in slowly as you mix everything together to get the right consistency, the mixture should not be too wet, so you can add in more if needed , but it should not clump together either.
- Grease a baking dish with olive oil or use some baking paper to line before pouring in the mixture. Make sure it’s not too thick as it will be harder to cook.
- Bake for approximately 50 minutes to an hour.
- This dish can be eaten both hot or cold and is great when served with some garlic yoghurt, easily made by adding some garlic powder or a small amount of crushed garlic to plain yoghurt.